Doing something for the first time is always a little bit uncomfortable, especially when that something is trying a new exercise class. I find myself trying new classes on a monthly basis and I still have butterflies every time I walk into a new studio. I always do my research and try to talk to someone who has been before but there is really nothing like trying it yourself!
During the month of May I decided to try SLT (Strength Lengthen and Tone) at the SoHo location. SLT is an extremely popular in the boutique fitness scene and I recently read the 'megaformer' is going to be as popular as a spin bike.
The website describes explains "SLT is challenging and unlike any other workout out there. We plank, we lunge, we twist, we pulse…we constantly provide you with fun, unique and intense exercises that help to make you stronger and leaner. The full body workout is done with the assistance and resistance of weighted springs, thus requiring constant engagement of the core…for 50 minutes straight."
I had heard from friends that they were sore for days after taking a class and one even said it was "pilates on crack". So I decided I had to try it.
I think it is important to always be at least 15 minutes early whenever going to a new class so I arrived at 8:10am for my 8:30am class. It was kind of hard to find the location as SLT is located on the 8th floor in building on Crosby street, and the lobby smells like falafel (there is a falafel stand next door).
As I made my way up the very slow elevator I could hear the base bumping. The doors opened and I saw a cute blonde with a mic demonstrating as 6 other (very sweaty) women followed her. I must have looked like a deer in the headlights because it took me a minute to realize where the front desk(if you could call it that) was. I checked in and was told they had two bathrooms and to have a seat. I waited nervously for the current class to end and my class to begin. I made it a point to introduce myself to the teacher and to let her know I was new. She told me to take it slow and to do what I could but other than that it was go time!
I will be honest it was not my favorite.
The Pros:
-A hard work out, I definitely sweat!
-Teacher was understanding that I couldn't do some of the moves.
The cons:
-Lack of customer service, front desk was rude.
-Not enough instruction on certain moves and I feel like they should explain to newbies how the machine works.
-The teacher should curate her playlist.
-I understand that space is limited in NYC but there was no place to put my personal items.
It wasn't a terrible experience but I feel like if I was to go back I would try a different studio. I know that it is hard to please everyone but to me before the work out started I was already feeling like I was in the way and the front desk staff couldn't have cared less. If I am paying $40 to work out I think I could at least get a smile.
I was definitely sore for 3 days which to me seemed like an accomplishment but I won't be adding SLT to my weekly work out regimen.

This sounds insane, wow. I also love trying different workouts. I walk/hike, do Pilates, Zumba, Body Pump and kickboxing. I'm always up for something different. I definitely understand your point here though, the workout environment is just as important as the actual workout. It's too bad the gym employees had such an attitude, they'll lose so many customers that way! I'd love to hear about other workouts you review :)
ReplyDeleteNeat post! I love hearing about new different workout methods and gyms that people are getting into. I feel like these inventive and creative methods of working out make "going to the gym" a lot more fun and perhaps even more motivating. It's interesting that the employees were not very welcoming to new customers. You would think that they would want to draw in more of their new customers rather than push them away!
ReplyDelete